This weekend has definitely been one of the best in some time for two very big reasons. The first reason is due to the fact that, as I’ve alluded to in the past, I am getting married next year (4 months to go now!!) and as such one of my groomly duties is to organise suits for myself, future father in law, best man (my brother) and my 2 groomsmen who may as well be brothers themselves! This was done on Sunday in what my dad would call, man shopping. No fuss; go in, try on, make a decision and leave. Total success on this count. I am really, really pleased with the choice I’ve made and know that all of us will look sharp on the day.
The second reason is that in preparation for the lads arriving on Saturday spent the morning creating a truly heroic slow cooker beef curry. Now I’m fairly new with the slow cooker, and the books I have at home didn’t have any recipes so after reading a section called “adapting your own recipes” and having read a few curry recipes I thought what the hey, and winged it.
So this slow cooker beef curry is made with my own tastes in mind. I really like spicy (hot) and creamy curries. I used beef instead of chicken for something a little bit different. Now, the lads are all seasoned pros when it comes to curries and because of this their verdict meant a hell of a lot to me. The resulting curry was great. After 7 hours in the slow cooker the beef just melted in your mouth, it was hot and spicy and creamy. It was the perfect dish on a really cold and miserable day!
My brother, Dave, has also just finished his first month blogging about the travels he and his girlfriend Chez are going on next year. I’ve travelled a lot in my life. My parents very generously took us both around the world and I topped it up with travelling on the cruise ships, however, from what Dave has been writing about I’m so completely jealous! Check it out! His blog is called What On Earth and is a great read. Oh and I taught him everything he knows 😛
The only complaint the guys made was that I hadn’t made a dessert as well so all in all, a great weekend! Here’s the recipe for my Slow Cooker Beef Curry:
|Slow Cooker Beef Curry|| |
- 800g braising steak cut into large chunks
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes#
- 400g water (fill one of the tins back up)
- 1 x 200g Jar, Rogan Josh Curry Paste
- 1 x 400g full fat coconut milk
- 1 tspn runny honey
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn garam massala
- 1 Onion, finely chopped,
- tspn sesame oil
- Freshly chopped coriander to serve
- Freshly chopped red chillis to serve
- Place the oil in a frying pan and place over a high heat. Add the braising steak and cook well. Don't be afraid to colour the beef really well, this adds flavour! Once cooked, pour the beef and any juices into the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, curry paste, honey, turmeric, garam masala and water to the slow cooker, place the lid on and turn on to a high setting. Cook this for 6 hours (or 8+ on a low setting). Don't lift the lid of the slow cooker until its ready as the steam and condensation goes back into the curry to stop it burning over.
- An hour before you're ready to serve remove the lid and pour in the coconut milk. Give it a good stir and return the lid. Serve with rice and all the sides that go with a great curry!