You can make dough for these simple garlic flat breads from just three ingredients. Three! Natural yoghurt, self-raising flour and baking powder. That’s it. You can flavour the flat breads with different butters just before serving and you really won’t taste the fact that it’s mostly yoghurt. This time we’re making them with garlic and herb butter. Yum!
These simple garlic flat breads are so easy to make. It’s a great one to get the little people involved in. It has everything they want when cooking, the opportunity to get sticky hands and use rolling pins. My daughter Constance definitely loves getting involved and getting her hands dirty. Helping to get the dough come together and then “painting” them with the garlic butter is such good fun.
To make the simple garlic flat breads you put you combine your ingredients in a bowl with a spoon and then get your hands in and bring it all together. Divide your dough into portions and roll out to whatever size floats your boat. The kids had smaller child size versions and Eleanor & I prefer to have great big naan sized ones. It’s so flexible!
Whack them on a frying pan and watch them cook. Watching these flat breads cook is fast becoming one of those small joys in life. The dough bubbles in such a gorgeous way.
The garlic butter? Even easier. Whack some salted butter, fresh garlic (or garlic granules/powder) and some fresh or dried herbs. Melt it down, give it a good stir and brush it on your flatbreads.
What dishes would simple garlic flat breads go with?
I think the answer to this is anything that has a sauce! These are amazing with Italian dishes with rich sauces but flat breads in general are used around world for all manor of things. Adding some coriander makes them an ideal substitute for naan bread! Swapping the garlic and herb butter for ras-el-hanout and olive oil would to make them exceptional with Tagines. In Turkey you could have flat breads for breakfast with Yoghurt, (yes more yoghurt) spinach, eggs and all number of toppings! Sound’s delicious right?
So here is my very simple recipe for very simple garlic flat breads!
Simple Garlic Flatbreads
For The Flatbreads
- 350 g Natural unflavoured yoghurt
- 350 g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
For the Garlic Butter
- 1 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 clove Fresh Garlic Or 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp fresh or dried Italian herbs.
Making your dough
- Combine your yoghurt, flour and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- As it gets to be too stiff to move with a spoon, get your hands in there and bring it together.
- on a clean surface add some flour and pour your dough onto it. Kneed the dough, adding more flour to the top if it gets too sticky. Bring it together in a nice ball. You won't need to kneed it too much as it isn't a traditional bread. Leave covered to one side until you're ready for them.
For the Garlic Butter
- Add your butter, garlic and herbs to a small pan and melt down, stirring. This could be done in a microwave also. Set to one side.
Bringing it all together
- When ready, pull a small handful of dough away and form a ball. Flatten it with your palm and begin to stretch it out with you fingers like you might a pizza dough. Using a floured rolling pin and on a floured surface, roll the dough out to your desired size.
- Put on a plate and top with some loose flour and stack them up as you go. The flour will stop them from sticking to each other.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat with NO oil.
- Carefully place your dough onto the frying pan and leave there. You'll notice the top side of the dough will begin to puff out and bubble. Use a spatula to check the underside and when ready turn them. Press down to release the air from the flatbread. The whole thing will take about a minute to cook. Repeat until all breads are ready.
- Once all the flat breads are cooked, use a pastry brush to brush them with your garlic butter and voila! you're done.