No churn coffee ice cream is a delight for coffee drinkers everywhere. This recipe is a strong coffee ice cream that is really light and perfectly balanced.
In the ThisGuyCooks household, I’m the only coffee drinker. My wife Eleanor loves the smell but can’t stand the flavour. It’s a real shame for her but for me comes a real advantage. You see, my wife is notorious for the whole “I don’t wan’t any but I’ll just have some of yours”.
Now ladies, when your husband or partner offers to buy you some chips or an ice cream it’s 9 times out of 10, because they want one themselves. I know full well I’m going to come off badly here BUT much like Joey, when it comes to certain foods, Steve doesn’t share. Luckily I make a great no churn mint choc chip ice cream which is Eleanor’s favourite.
From this came my absolute passion for coffee ice cream. It’s the win win flavour. Done right it’s balanced and refreshing. The stronger the better too! But more importantly it’s a flavour that has zero risk of being pinched.
This no churn coffee ice cream makes the perfect coffee ice cream accessible to everyone. All you need is a bowl, a whisk (or a stand mixer) and a freezer. There’s no ice cream maker needed. It’s a completely no fail coffee ice cream recipe.
How to make no churn coffee ice cream
The ice cream recipe produces enough to fill a loaf tin so just about a litre. It’s also really cheap to make with an ice cream that’s totally comparable to the expensive half litre tubs you can buy at the store with a couple of famous faces on.
To make the ice cream, whack 500ml of double cream into a stand mixer (or with a whisk or electric hand mixer with a large bowl) and with the whisk attachment and whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Don’t use too high a setting on this as you risk splitting the cream (great if you’re making butter & buttermilk, but we’re not!).
In a small bowl, mix 100ml of whole milk with two tablespoons of an instant coffee of your choice. I like the Lavazza instant coffee myself. Totally rich and aromatic! Mix the milk and coffee together. Add 2 tsp of vanilla bean paste and also 1 tsp of coffee extract. Add a can of condensed milk and combine together.
Carefully fold the condensed milk/coffee mixture into the whipped cream being careful not to push too much air out. Sprinkle about another teaspoon of the instant coffee and mix together. These won’t combine with the mix. You’ll end up with a mixture that is just the most gorgeous colour and wonderful little specs of coffee through the ice cream.
So here is my recipe for a super simple no churn coffee ice cream that is bound to bring a smile to any coffee drinkers face! These are the mutts nuts served in homemade ice cream cones.
Super Simple No Churn Coffee Ice Cream
- 500 ml Double Cream
- 1 397g tin of condensed milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee of your choice, plus extra to sprinkle
- 50 ml whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp coffee extract
- Add your cream to a large bowl. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, hand mixer or whisk, beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- in a bowl, combine the milk and the instant coffee – the coffee will dissolve nicely in the milk on its own.
- Add the vanilla bean paste, the coffee extract and the condensed milk and combine.
- Fold the condensed milk mix into the cream very carefully, being sure not to push out any of the air.
- Sprinkle some more instant coffee and give a good gentle stir to spread them out.
- pour into a loaf tin, sprinkle some more instant coffee onto the top and then freeze for 4-8 hours or overnight. If you can, occasionally take the tin out and give it a mix either with a fork or a whisk just to agitate it. This helps to make sure it isn't icy!